Happy New Year’s Eve! I’m posting this fizzy pink cocktail far too late for you to make it tonight, I know. Please accept my apologies. Resolution No. 1: Start planning ahead.
I can’t say I’m sad for the year to end because I’m busy looking forward to the year ahead. 2011 has been a year of growth. I learned how to get unstuck, if you will, by leaving an unfulfilling three-year-long relationship and quitting a miserable office job. I traveled as much as possible in search of a new city to call home. I cultivated friendships and tried to savor every moment in each season.
I learned a lot of lessons in my 25th year—some invaluable and others, trivial. I started referring to myself as a woman rather than a girl. That’s something. I realized I’d rather snuggle with my dog than a jerk. I developed a serious appreciation for stretchy pants. Each little success on this blog has reinforced my belief that persistence and creative development will help me get to a better position in life, whatever that may be.
I’m eager to discover what’s in store for 2012. My main goal is to get out of this town and make a new home elsewhere (Kansas City, here I come!). I also resolve to exercise and floss my teeth and wear sunscreen daily. See? I’m old.Print
Blood Orange French 75
- Author: Cookie and Kate
- Category: Cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 1 small blood orange (about the size of a lemon), juiced
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- Agave nectar or sweet and syrup (optional), to taste
- 3 ounces Champagne or sparkling wine
- Fill a Champagne flute or comparably sized glass less than halfway with crushed ice (optional).
- Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the gin and the blood orange and lemon juice. Shake well. Taste and add agave nectar or simple syrup if necessary, to taste.
- Strain the gin mixture into the glass. Top with Champagne. Garnish with a blood orange twist (you’ll see in the pictures that I played around with garnishes but the twist is more traditional).
Adapted from Imbibe Magazine’s French 75 Recipe.
One last thing! I am giving away a copy of The American Cocktail, by the editors of Imbibe Magazine, to one lucky reader! It’s a beautiful little book filled with 50 inventive cocktail recipes, which are organized by region and accompanied by Sheri Giblin’s inspiring photographs. Ms. Giblin puts my work to shame.
For a chance to win, leave a comment below! Tell me about your resolutions, your New Year’s Eve festivities or why you’d like to win the book. Anything will do.
The fine print: You have until midnight CST on Thursday, January 5th, to leave your comment for a chance to win. I will notify the winner by email on Friday; the winner must reply within 7 days with a valid mailing address or I will randomly select another winner. Good luck, and Happy New Year to all!
Update: Congratulations to Shelley for winning the giveaway! Thank you to all who entered—I loved reading every single comment!