Well, I don’t know about you, but I definitely overindulged this weekend. I caught up on sleep yesterday and now I’m ready to balance out Saturday night’s rosé, cheese and chocolate party (!!!) with some fresh, redeeming meals. Greens to the rescue!
I hate to keep a good recipe from you, but this one has been in the works for a while (for good reason). I’m excited to finally share it with you all today. It’s a refreshing strawberry, spinach and quinoa salad featuring a zippy lemon dressing, savory toasted almonds and creamy, tangy goat cheese. It’s the kind of summery, dinner-sized salad that will fill you up without weighing you down.
Have you all heard of Plated? Perhaps you saw the founders on Shark Tank, but if not, they deliver ready-to-cook ingredients along with simple, gourmet recipes. It’s the perfect solution for busy people who love to cook at home, but don’t want to deal with the hassles of recipe hunting and grocery shopping.
Plated asked me to come up with a recipe (enter this strawberry quinoa salad), which earned Chef Elana’s stamp of approval in Plated’s test kitchen. Then they sourced the ingredients, made sure that strawberries ship beautifully and took step-by-step photos to show how to make the recipe. They’ll be sending out perfectly portioned, fresh ingredients to make this salad next week!
Plated will be delivering the ingredients to make this salad from August 11 – 17! If you’re curious about Plated’s offerings, now’s the perfect time to place an order. Cookie and Kate readers get 10% off their first order with code COOKIEANDKATE. (Sorry, this applies to new Plated customers only. Offer expires October 1, 2014.)
Click here to check out Plated’s current offerings! As usual, four of the recipes contain meat/fish and the three others, including this salad, are meatless. Plated is sharing a portion of the proceeds from your orders with us, so thank you in advance for your support.
I’m also including the salad recipe below. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 5 to 6 strawberries (to yield 3/4 to 1 cup sliced strawberries), hulled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 ounces chilled goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed under running water in a fine mesh colander
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the quinoa: In a small saucepan, combine the rinsed quinoa and 1/2 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 17 minutes. Remove the pot from heat, sprinkle in 1/8 teaspoon salt and fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let the quinoa cool, uncovered, for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, honey and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper until emulsified. Set the dressing aside.
- Toast the almonds: In a small pan over medium heat, toast the almonds, stirring often, until they are fragrant and turning golden, about 5 minutes.
- Assemble the salad: In a bowl, combine the chopped spinach, sliced strawberries, warm quinoa and toasted almonds. Crumble goat cheese over the salad. Drizzle in just enough dressing to lightly coat the spinach (I only used about half of the dressing) and toss.
Make it nut free: Skip the almonds or substitute toasted sunflower seeds.
Storage suggestions: Store dressing separately. Toss the dressing with the rest of the ingredients just before serving.
Change it up: Sliced fresh cherries, peaches or apples would make great substitutions for the strawberries!
If you love this recipe: You'll also love my strawberry, basil and goat cheese panini and strawberry kale salad with nutty granola croutons.
Disclaimer: This recipe was created in partnership with Plated and I will be receiving a portion of the proceeds from your orders. Thank you for supporting the partners that support Cookie and Kate!