My favorite blogs, local food resources, fascinating nutrition news articles and food photography links.
Seasonal, Local and Organic Produce Resources
- Epicureous’ Seasonal Ingredient Map: Click on your state and select a month to view which types of produce are in season in your area.
- Find farmers markets and CSAs in your area on Local Harvest.
- The Dirty Dozen: Learn which types of produce are worth buying organic.
- The Year In Food’s monthly Seasonal Food Guides.
- The Giving Table: Connecting food and philanthropy.
- Whole Foods Market Food Guides: An encyclopedic resource on food of all kinds.
- Martha Stewart’s Produce Guide Index: Browse Martha’s recipes by season and produce.
- Learn how to store produce without plastic.
- Slow Food: Find a Local Chapter
- Gilt Taste: So much goodness here. How to’s, food stories and more.
Nutrition News and Commentary
- Still Counting Calories? Your Weight-Loss Plan May Be Outdated. For more details, see the full study: Changes in Diet and Lifestyle and Long-Term Weight Gain in Women and Men.
- Attacking the Obesity Epidemic by First Figuring Out Its Cause. For more details, see The Lancet’s 4 part series on the obesity pandemic and what to do about it.
- Is Junk Food Really Cheaper? No, it’s not, says Mark Bittman in the New York Times
- Is sugar toxic? asks the New York Times
- We’re eating less sugar—but still far too much. For details, read the study.
- Sugar: The Bitter Truth [YouTube video]
- The Harmful Effects of Soda [Infographic]
- Symptoms of Celiac Disease: 97% of celiacs go undiagnosed.
- Eating More Meat, White or Red, Is Bad for the Waistline
- The U.S. Wastes 40 Percent of All Food Produced Per Year. How About We Stop Doing That?
- Can we be trained to like healthy foods? Read the full study: Prenatal and Postnatal Flavor Learning by Human Infants.
- New York Skinny vs. Paris Skinny by Garance Doré
- The Food Writer’s Diet, by a cookbook author and a size 2, Melissa Clark
- Is Food Writing Important? by Michael Ruhlman
Food Photography and Styling Resources
- These links have moved to my Food Photography Tips for Food Bloggers page.