Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Muffins
These apple muffins are wholesome and delicious. Recipe yields 1 dozen muffins. UPDATE: I’ve created a newer apple muffin recipe that is my new favorite, so you might want to check it out!
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk with the juice of half a lemon (or low fat buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup packed muscovado sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or vegetable/canola oil)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small Gala apples, chopped into small pieces
- turbinado (raw) sugar and nutmeg, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin wrappers or spray with nonstick cooking spray. My non-stick muffin tin works so well I didn’t need either.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in your applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist.
- Fold in the chopped apples. Fill muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle raw sugar and a light dusting of nutmeg on top of the muffins.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes. Since these muffins contain fresh fruit, they will spoil more quickly than regular muffins. Try storing them in the refrigerator if you don’t intend to finish them within a day or two, or store them in the freezer for longer-term storage.