Blueberry Lemon Muffins
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 10 muffins
- Category: Muffins
My “perfect” blueberry muffins are made with whole wheat flour and Greek yogurt. So delicious, no one will guess they’re healthy, too! Recipe yields 9 to 10 standard muffins.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used organic turbinado sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat plain Chobani yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (if frozen, don’t bother defrosting). I suspect any muffin-friendly fruit would be great!
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- If you have an electric mixer, use it to beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (that’s how Deb did it). I mixed the ingredients by hand, with a whisk, since I don’t have an electric mixer.
- Add egg and beat well, then yogurt and zest.
- If you have a sifter, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and sift half of dry ingredients over batter. I don’t have a sifter, so I mixed the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and added it to the bowl of liquid ingredients.
- Mix until combined.
- Sift (or add) remaining dry ingredients into batter and mix just until the flour disappears.
- Gently fold in your blueberries (or whatever fruit you’re using).
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops are golden. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen, which was adapted from Cooks Illustrated.