Vegan Cherry Chocolate Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 1 9" cake
- Category: Dessert
This decadent chocolate cherry cake is made healthier with whole wheat flour and fresh cherries. It’s vegan, too, but you don’t have to tell!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 scant cup raw (turbinado) sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or quality vegetable oil
- 1 cup coffee (I mixed one packet of Starbucks VIA instant coffee with cold filtered water, you could also just use 1 cup of cold water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 pound dark cherries (roughly enough cherries to cover the bottom of your cake pan)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pit the cherries. I invested in this cherry pitter and it makes pitting cherries about as easy as it can be.
- Line the bottom of your pan with parchment paper. I used a 9 inch non-stick springform pan, which made removing the cake a cinch.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar directly into the cake pan.
- In a measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, cold coffee (or cold water and Starbucks VIA), almond extract and vanilla extract.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk until it is smooth.
- Add the vinegar and stir quickly. You will see pale swirls in the batter as the vinegar reacts with the baking soda. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Mix in your cherries with minimal stirring. I poked the cherries down into the batter with my finger.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.