Blueberry Lemon Scones
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 scones
- Category: Breakfast
If you’ve been intimidated by baking scones, don’t be afraid to try this recipe. I was surprised at how easy it was to throw the ingredients together. Shaping and slicing the scones was easy, too. Make them for breakfast this weekend, and freeze the rest for later!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons turbinado (raw cane) sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen but fresh would be even better!)
- 1/2 cup plain low fat Greek yogurt (I used 0% fat yogurt by Fage)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I used 2%)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
- Slice butter and drop into dry ingredients. If you have a pastry cutter, use it to cut the butter into the flour. If you don’t have a pastry cutter, use a knife to cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix it into the flour.
- Add blueberries and lemon zest and gently stir. You can use frozen blueberries, no thawing necessary.
- Gently mix in milk and yogurt. Eventually you’ll need to use your hands to knead the last of the flour into the dough.
- Form dough into a circle about that’s about an inch deep all around. Cut the circle into 8 slices.
- Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil.
- Sprinkle the tops of the scones with a bit of raw sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.