Nectarine Buttermilk Cupcakes with Honey Whipped Cream
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 18 cupcakes
- Category: Dessert
Although these cupcakes are made with whole wheat flour and significantly less butter and sugar than most, they make delicious, celebration-worthy late summer treats. Top each cupcake with a dollop of homemade, honey-sweetened whipped cream and enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup raw (turbinado) sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (make your own by adding 1 tablespoon and two teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Zest of 2 large lemons, or 3 small
- 4 nectarines, thinly sliced, then cut each slice in half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the top third of the oven. Line your muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and lemon zest.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and stir just until it’s mostly combined.
- Stir in your sliced nectarines, saving about 18 slices to place on top of the cupcakes before baking.
- Spoon your cupcakes into the prepared muffin tin. Top each one with a slice of nectarine and a light sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yields approximately 18 cupcakes.
- Adapted from Heidi‘s recipe for plum buttermilk cake in her latest cookbook, Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson.
- Peaches would work just as well in place of nectarines.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.