Stuffed Vegetables with Wheat Berries, Pesto and Chickpeas
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main
Globe zucchinis and bell peppers stuffed with a delicious combination of wheat berries, feta and pesto make a perfect end-of-summer side dish or entrée!
- 6 to 7 globe zucchinis and/or bell peppers, sliced in half through the stem
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (see instructions above).
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or about 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 4 oz crumbled feta, which is about 2/3 cup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon juice (optional) for drizzling over the vegetables after baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet or large casserole dish.
- Over medium heat, sautée garlic and onion with a dash of olive oil for a few minutes. Add red pepper and sautée for a few more minutes. I feel that this step brings out the flavor in those ingredients, but you could skip it if you’re short on time.
- In the meantime, use your fingers and a big spoon to scoop out the insides of your halved globe zucchinis and/or bell peppers.
- In a large bowl, mix together the stuffing: wheat berries, chickpeas, pesto, feta and sautéed vegetables. Add salt and pepper to taste. Resist the urge to eat the whole bowl.
- Use a spoon to stuff your vegetables with the mixture. Mound some extra stuffing on top.
- Bake for 22 to 30 minutes, until the sides of the vegetables yield to a gentle squeeze. I baked mine a little too long so I reduced the baking time here.
- To brighten up the flavor, drizzle a bit of fresh lemon juice over the cooked vegetables. Serve and enjoy!
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.