Whole Wheat Coconut Waffles
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings
- Category: Breakfast
Crispy coconut waffles made with 100% whole wheat flour. This delicious coconut waffle recipe is easy to make, too! Recipe yields about 3 1/2 Belgian waffles.
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons turbinado (raw) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature light coconut milk (or lukewarm milk)
- 1/3 cup melted virgin coconut oil (or butter or vegetable oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (egg, coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. The batter will be a little lumpy, which is fine.
- Cook the waffles as directed by the waffle iron manufacturer.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour’s recipe for whole wheat waffles.
Note on fat content: Since light coconut milk has a higher fat content than low fat cow’s milk, I suspect you could reduce the amount of coconut oil to 1/4 cup. Remember, though, waffles need enough fat or they won’t get crispy (source: On Food and Cooking). Nobody likes a soggy waffle!
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.