Chipotle-Glazed Delicata Squash with Cilantro-Lime Rice and Black Beans
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 4
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Mexican
A spicy and sweet chipotle and honey sauce lends delicious Mexican flavor to delicata squash. Serve with healthy refried black beans and cilantro lime rice.
- 3 delicata squash, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds scooped out, then sliced into 1/2 inch arcs
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus some greasing for the pan
- 1 or 2 canned chipotle chiles, chopped, with 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon pressed or minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed in a fine mesh strainer
- 1 small lime, zest removed and juiced
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- loose 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional but highly recommended)
- salt, to taste
Refried Black Beans
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cans cooked black beans, drained
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, chopped (I used jarred)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Prep work: Heat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit for the squash. Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove for the rice.
- Cook the squash: Grease a large rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Whisk together the olive oil, 1 chipotle chile, adobo sauce, garlic, honey, and some salt and pepper in a small bowl (a mortar and pestle is ideal, so you can really mash together the ingredients). Taste and add another chile if you like.
- Brush the glaze evenly over the squash skewers and roast for 45 to 60 minutes, turning once or twice and basting with any pan juices. When the squash is tender and deeply colored, remove the skewers from the oven and set aside.
- To cook the rice: Once your pot of water is boiling, pour in the rice and give it a stir. Boil the rice for 30 minutes, then turn off the heat and drain the rice. Return the rice to the pot and cover the pot. Let the rice steam for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork, then mix in the lime zest and juice, lemon juice, cilantro, butter and salt to taste.
- Cook the beans: In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add the cumin and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in the beans and 1/2 cup water. Stir, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove the lid and use the back of a fork to mash up about 1/2 of the beans. Add the roasted red peppers, stir, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover until you’re ready to serve.
- Serve the beans on a bed of cilantro lime rice. Top with chipotle-glazed squash. Garnish with a couple of lime wedges.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.