Avocado, Egg and English Muffin Sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Haute
The best veggie egg sandwich you’ll ever have, seriously. These egg sandwiches are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Feel free to change up the toppings or just skip a few.
- 1 whole wheat English muffin, sliced in half
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon milk or water
- sea salt
- cooking oil spray, or 1 to 2 teaspoons butter/oil
- several small slices of Monterey Jack cheese (or any other cheese, sliced/shredded/crumbled)
- hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- sliced red onion
- small handful arugula or sprouts
- sliced tomato or roasted red pepper
- thinly sliced cucumber
- Toast your sliced muffin. Heat a 9 to 10-inch non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium. Scramble the egg with the milk/water and a pinch of salt.
- Once the skillet is hot, spray it with an ample amount of cooking spray (or melt butter in the pan or brush it with oil). Pour in the scrambled egg and immediately swirl the egg in the bottom of the pan to make an even layer, like you would for a crepe. Immediately place your cheese in the center of the egg mixture as shown. Add a few dashes of hot sauce. Once the egg is set enough to fold over onto itself with a spatula (this could take 30 seconds to 1 minute), fold each side over the middle until you have a cute little egg and cheese envelope. Let it cook for another 30 seconds, then transfer it to a plate.
- Top each toast halve with avocado. Place the cooked egg on one side. Top with cucumber, tomato, arugula, red onion and top with your other piece of toast. Enjoy.
Recipe adapted from Deb’s recipe for The Best Egg Sandwich You’ll Ever Have, via A Cup of Jo.
Make it tomato free: Go for the roasted red pepper to add to your sandwhich instead of the sliced tomatoes.
Make it dairy free: Skip out on the cheese, and use water to mix with your eggs instead of the milk.