Spring Carrot, Radish and Quinoa Salad with Herbed Avocado
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: Salad
This fresh and filling springtime salad features carrots, radishes, fennel, garlicky quinoa and herbed avocado, all tossed in a simple lemon vinaigrette. The salad as written below yields two large salads—if you’d like to make four, double everything except for the dressing.
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed under running water in a fine mesh colander
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 radishes, sliced into super thin strips or rounds
- 3 carrots, peeled and then sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1/4 bulb fennel (optional), cored and sliced super thin
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta (omit for vegan salad)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon (preferably organic), zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
- Dash sea salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 small lime or lemon, juiced
- 3 packed tablespoons fresh herbs, like mint and cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- To cook the quinoa: In a saucepan, combine the rinsed quinoa and 1 cup water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, remove the pot from heat and let it rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff up the quinoa and mix in the garlic and olive oil. Season to taste with sea salt.
- To toast the sunflower seeds: Pour the seeds into a small pan. Heat the seeds over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are fragrant and turning golden on the edges. Remove from heat.
- To make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, mustard and honey (or agave nectar) until emulsified. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- To prepare the avocado: In a small bowl, combine the chunks of avocado, lemon or lime juice, chopped fresh herbs, coriander and sea salt. Mash with a fork until the mixture is blended and no longer chunky.
- Assemble the salads: Divide the arugula and quinoa between two large salad bowls. Drizzle lightly with vinaigrette (you will have leftover vinaigrette) and toss to coat. Divide the radishes, carrots and fennel between the two bowls. Top with a sprinkling of sunflower seeds and feta cheese. Add a big ol’ dollop of herbed avocado. Serve!
The salad is gluten free.
Make it vegan:Use agave nectar instead of honey and skip the feta cheese.
Storage suggestions: Store leftover vinaigrette in the refrigerator, covered. It should keep for about a week. If you have leftover avocado, press plastic wrap against the avocado to help keep it fresh. It’s best eaten within a couple of days—use it as a dip for vegetables or chips, spread it on toast or serve it with quesadillas.