Simple Beet, Arugula and Feta Salad with Hilary’s Balsamic Thyme Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 salads
- Category: Salad
This simple salad features a few marvelously complementary flavors: earthy beets, bitter arugula, salty feta, savory pepitas and sweet and tangy balsamic dressing. Recipe yields two salads (sized as shown) and is easy halved or doubled.
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 2 medium red beets
- Handful arugula, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Hilary’s Eat Well Balsamic Thyme Dressing with Eyebright or homemade balsamic vinaigrette, to taste
- First, toast the pepitas in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant and making little popping noises, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Peel the rough skin from the beets with a vegetable peeler. If you have a mandoline, use it to slice the beets into thin matchsticks (watch your fingers!). If you don’t have a mandoline, hold onto the rough end of the beet and slice the beet into super thin rounds, starting at the tip and working your way to the rough top. Discard the rough top. Working in batches, stack the rounds on top of each other and slice them into long, thin matchsticks.
- In a medium-sized serving bowl, combine the beets, arugula, crumbled feta and pepitas. Drizzle in just enough dressing to lightly coat the salad once tossed. Toss and serve.
Storage suggestions: This salad keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for about a day. It will keep longer if you store the arugula separately from the rest and toss just before serving.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.