Simple Caprese Skewers with Balsamic Dipping Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 22 skewers
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian
Tomato, basil and mozzarella skewers are the perfect summer party appetizer! Serve with a simple balsamic dipping sauce (recipe below). Your guests will love them! This recipe yields about 22 little skewers, size as shown here.
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (smaller tomatoes are preferable)
- 1 medium ripe peach (totally optional), pitted and sliced into small, bite-sized pieces no larger than your tomatoes
- 8 ounces ciliegine (mini mozzarella balls)
- 1 small bunch of basil (smaller basil leaves are preferable, you’ll need between 22 to 44 leaves total)
- 22 small (4 to 6-inch) skewers (I used these)
Balsamic dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Onto each skewer, thread the following in alternating patterns: one cherry tomato, one ciliegine, one to two leaves of basil and a slice of peach or an additional tomato.
- To prepare the sauce, simply whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl until emulsified. Serve skewers on plates or a platter with sauce nearby.
Recipe inspired by Legends in Norman, OK.
Make it tomato free: Skip the cherry tomatoes and use two peaches (total) instead.