Anything-Goes Kale Salad with Green Tahini Dressing
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 1 salad
- Category: Salad
This super versatile kale salad features an amazing tahini dressing. Just add massaged kale, leftover cooked grains and veggies from your crisper drawer. Recipe yields 1 hearty meal-sized salad, so multiply as necessary.
- 1/2 medium bunch kale, preferably the Tuscan/lacinato variety, or several handfuls of your favorite greens
- 1 cup leftover cooked grains (I love long-grain brown rice, quinoa, farro or wheat berries…)
- 2 carrots, sliced into long ribbons with a julienne peeler or regular veggie peeler
- 1 radish, thinly sliced and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (green pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds, toasted
- More ideas: halved cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped bell pepper, whatever else strikes your fancy…
Green tahini dressing (yields about 3/4 cup, so you’ll have plenty for future salads)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice (about 3 to 4 medium limes)
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, optional for extra heat
- To prepare the kale (skip this step if you’re using any other kind of fresh green), first use a sharp chef’s knife to remove the center ribs from the kale, then discard the ribs. Chop the kale into small, bite-sized pieces. Then, sprinkle the kale lightly with salt, and massage the kale by scrunching handfuls at a time until the kale is darker in color and fragrant. This step reduces the bitterness in the kale and improves its texture.
- In a bowl, combine the prepared kale, leftover grains (I like to warm mine a bit in the microwave first), carrot, radishes, toasted pepitas, and/or your toppings of choice.
- To make the dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary. Taste, and blend in additional salt if the dressing needs a little more oomph. If you’d like spicier dressing, blend in a pinch of red pepper flakes. If the dressing is too bold for your liking, dilute it with a little more olive oil and blend again.
- Drizzle the green tahini dressing generously over the salad (you’ll still have plenty leftover) and enjoy.
Make it gluten free: Be sure to use a gluten-free option like rice or quinoa.
Storage suggestions: This dressing keeps well, refrigerated, for about 1 week.