Vegan BLT Sandwich
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 mins
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich
- Category: Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
This vegetarian/vegan riff on the classic BLT sandwich features coconut bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado! This BLT makes a delicious, simple lunch or dinner.
- 2 slices eureka! Grainiac® whole grain bread
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut bacon
- 1 medium ripe red tomato
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Several small leaves of romaine or butter lettuce
- Be sure to make the coconut bacon before you get started on the sandwich (it’s easy to make, and you’ll have lots of leftovers, which freeze well).
- When you’re ready to make sandwich(es), first toast the bread to your desired doneness.
- Halve and pit the avocado, and scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt, and use a fork to mash the avocado until it’s pretty smooth and easily spreadable. Taste, and add more salt if necessary.
- Spread avocado on top of both slices of bread. Spread coconut bacon heavily on one piece of toast, and lightly press it into the avocado to help it stick.
- Slice the tomato into 1/2″ thick slices. Top the bacon-covered toast with 2 to 3 slices of tomato, and sprinkle it with black pepper. Top the tomato with lettuce, and place the remaining slice of bread on top, avocado side down. If you prefer, carefully slice the sandwich in half with a serrated knife.
Make it gluten free: Either use gluten-free bread, or make my heirloom BLT sandwich instead, without the croutons.
Change it up: Mayo lovers, feel free to add mayo or substitute it for the avocado. Use vegan mayo to keep the sandwich vegan.
More coconut bacon recipes: Check out my heirloom BLT kale salad and grilled summer salad.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.