Amazing Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes (plus 30 minutes chill time)
- Yield: 13 cookies
- Category: Cookie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
The most amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe! They are easy to make (no mixer required) with basic, wholesome ingredients. They’re miraculously vegan, too (no softened butter here). Recipe yields 13 large cookies.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips*
- 2/3 cup lightly packed coconut sugar or 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil**
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
- Maldon flaky sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine, then add the chocolate chips and toss to coat.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut sugar, regular sugar, oil and water. Whisk until the sugar has incorporated into the oil and the mixture is smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, then stir just until combined and no more flour is visible (don’t overdo it).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper for easy cleanup. Fill an ice cream scoop two-thirds with dough (or spoon the mixture into even 2-inch mounds), and place the dough onto one of the prepared sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving several inches of space around each cookie.
- Freeze the cookies on their pans for 30 minutes, or chill them for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake until the edges are just starting to turn golden, about 14 to 17 minutes. Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack and sprinkle the cookies with flaky salt, if using. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
Recipe adapted from Ovenly’s Secretly Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies.
*Chocolate chip notes: I like Ghiradelli’s bittersweet 60% cacao chocolate chips. Use vegan/dairy free chocolate chips if necessary.
**Oil notes: You can taste the coconut or olive oil flavor lightly in these cookies. Use whichever one you prefer. For completely neutral-flavored cookies, use a neutral-flavored oil such as avocado oil or safflower oil.
Make it dairy free/vegan: Simply use dairy-free/vegan chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life brand.
Make it gluten free: Bob’s Red Mill’s gluten-free all-purpose flour blend works great!
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.