Avocado Pesto Toast
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 toasts
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
This avocado pesto toast recipe is fantastic for breakfast, brunch or any time of day, really! Serve it as-is or add eggs and tomatoes for a complete meal. Recipe yields enough for 4 toasts, or 2 to 4 servings.
- 1/4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2/3 cup (1 ounces) packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices of eureka! Top Seed® Organic Bread
- Cooked eggs (fried, poached or scrambled, your preference)
- Halved cherry tomatoes (1 small handful per serving)
- Freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and/or flaky sea salt
- To toast the pepitas, pour them into a small skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are making little popping noises and starting to make little popping noises. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- To make the pesto, pit and halve the avocados and scoop the insides into the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add the toasted pepitas and basil leaves and pulse until the pepitas and basil are broken down into very small pieces and the mixture is well-blended. Taste, mix in more salt if the mixture doesn’t taste totally awesome yet.
- Toast the bread, then spread a generous amount of avocado pesto over each slice. Serve as is, or with eggs and/or tomatoes. Sprinkle lightly with freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes (for heat) and/or flaky sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
Make it vegan: Skip the eggs!
Storage suggestions: The spread yields about 1 1/2 cups, so you might have some extra. Leftover spread will keep in a small bowl with plastic wrap pressed against the top in the refrigerator for two to three days; scoop off the top layer before serving if turns brown.