Corn & Cherry Tomato Salsa
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 pints
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Canning
- Cuisine: Mexican
This corn and cherry tomato salsa recipe is bursting with fresh summer flavor. This recipe yields about 6 (16-ounce) pint jars.*
- 5 pounds cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups corn kernels (about 2 large ears fresh, but frozen thawed is fine)
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 large or 4 medium limes)
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 Ball® (16-ounce) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands*
- Prepare the boiling water canner. Heat the jars in simmering water until they’re ready for use. Do not boil. Wash the lids in warm soapy water and set them aside with the bands.
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a large stainless-steel or enameled saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle the hot salsa into a hot jar, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace. Remove the air bubbles. Wipe the jar rim clean. Center the lid on the jar. Apply the band and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place the jar in the boiling water canner. Repeat until all the jars are filled.
- Process the jars for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off the heat; remove the lid, and let the jars stand for 5 minutes. Remove the jars and let them cool.
Recipe excerpted from Ball® Canning Back to Basics, published by Oxmoor House (2017), with permission.
*Yield variance: When Chef Sarah developed this recipe, it yielded about six pints. However, my batch filled just four pint jars. Jessica explained to me that yields are approximate and can vary depending on how the produce is prepared and the moisture content of the produce.
Tomato selection: The brand’s recipe developer told me that you can substitute any variety of tomato for the cherry tomatoes, if you’d like.
Lime juice safety: The use of fresh lime juice in this recipe is for the purpose of fresh flavor and has been verified as safe by scientific testing.