Best Red Salsa
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Mexican
This incredible red salsa recipe offers fresh, authentic Mexican salsa flavor. It’s so easy to make, too—you’ll need only 6 ingredients and 10 minutes. Recipe yields 2 cups; double or tripe the recipe for a crowd.
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced fire-roasted tomatoes*
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped white onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 medium jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed, and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Drain off about half of the tomato juice from the can (about 1/3 cup) and discard it.
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic to chop it more finely. Add the tomatoes and all of the remaining juice from the can. Add the onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and salt.
- Process the mixture until it is mostly smooth and no big chunks of tomato or onion remain, scraping down the sides as necessary. Season to taste with additional lime juice and salt, if necessary.
- Serve the salsa immediately or store it for later. This salsa keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for about 10 days.
This recipe comes from my cookbook, Love Real Food.
*Tomato notes: I strongly prefer Muir Glen brand fire-roasted tomatoes. They’re organic, come in BPA-free cans, and offer the best flavor I’ve found in canned tomatoes. You can use regular diced tomatoes, but your salsa won’t have the same depth of flavor.
Can I can this salsa?
This recipe has not been validated for canning safety, so I do not recommend canning this salsa. I recommend this recipe
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.