Chopped Greek Salad
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 side salads
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Greek
This Greek salad recipe is the best! It features chopped romaine lettuce and colorful garden vegetables, plus irresistible olives, feta cheese, and a simple Greek vinaigrette. Recipe yields 6 to 8 side servings or 3 to 4 meal-sized servings (that’s a lot of salad!). If you store the salad separately from the vinaigrette, it will keep well for up to 4 days.
- 10 ounces chopped romaine lettuce* (about 2 medium or 3 small heads, chopped)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium cucumber (about 8 ounces), seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved Kalamata olives
- 6 ounces feta cheese, sliced into 1/4” cubes (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, for heat (optional)
- In a large serving bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, pepper, onion, parsley, olives and feta. Toss the ingredients together and set aside.
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine all of the ingredients in a liquid measuring cup or OXO’s Twist & Pour Dressing Mixer. Whisk (or twist) until blended. Taste, and add more vinegar if you’d like a more tangy dressing, or more honey for a more tame dressing.
- If you’ll be serving all of the salad at once, go ahead and drizzle enough dressing in to lightly coat the salad and toss to combine. I prefer to store the salad and dressing separately so I can enjoy salad for a few days. Whisk the dressing again before drizzling (if the olive oil solidifies a bit in the refrigerator, don’t worry, that’s normal—just let it warm up for about 5 minutes at room temperature or microwave for 10 to 20 seconds).
*Romaine note: If you want to make this salad in a hurry, just buy two bags (5 ounces each) of chopped romaine, and chop it into even smaller, bite-sized pieces.
Make it dairy free: Omit the feta cheese! To make up for feta’s salty punch, you might want to add some extra olives or some sliced pepperoncini peppers.
Make it vegan: Omit the feta (see notes above). To make the dressing vegan, use maple syrup instead of honey (or skip the sweetener altogether).
Change it up: To make this salad more of a complete meal, add chickpeas (1 can, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas).
If you love this salad: The other salads in my giant salad challenge collection include my Mexican Green Salad with Jalapeño-Cilantro Dressing, Colorful Chopped Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing and Vegetarian Italian Chopped Salad. You can view all of my salads here.