Basic Basil Walnut Pesto Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: about 1/2 cup 1x
- Category: Sauce
This basic recipe is easy to make in bulk. Simply multiply the amounts provided below based by how many cups of basil you have. Freeze the leftover pesto for later!
- 1 lightly packed cup of basil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (Alice recommends twice this amount, but my food processor couldn’t take any more oil and I felt like this was plenty)
- salt, to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Over medium high heat, toast the walnuts until fragrant, about three to five minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the basil, walnuts and garlic.
- Pulse while drizzling in the olive oil.
- Remove the mixture from the processor and pour it into a bowl. Stir in salt and a squeeze of lemon (optional), to taste.
- Based off Alice Waters’ recipe in The Art of Simple Food.
- I did not include Parmesan cheese in this recipe because pesto tends to freeze better without cheese. That also means this pesto recipe is vegan.
▸ Nutrition Information
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.