I’m a sucker for a good surprise, so I couldn’t resist Megan‘s invitation to participate in the surprise announcement of her latest project. I whipped up some cupcakes based on Heidi‘s recipe for plum buttermilk cake in her latest cookbook, Super Natural Every Day. Instead of using plums, I mixed in (surprise!) nectarines, and topped each with honey whipped cream.
You can also find my recipe for nectarine cupcakes on The Fresh Exchange, as well as Happyolks‘ must-try recipe for maple cardamom macaroons, plus fantastic contributions from design, style, DIY and music bloggers. Don’t miss the other half of the contributions at The Pink and Blue Blog, which includes a killer outfit post by one of my favorites, Caroline of Greedy Girl.
Bloggers, you definitely won’t want to miss Megan and Katie’s surprise, which is absolutely celebration worthy. I can’t wait to participate and hope you all will join me. Hop on over to The Fresh Exchange or The Pink and Blue Blog to learn more!Print
Nectarine Buttermilk Cupcakes with Honey Whipped Cream
- Author: Cookie and Kate
Although these cupcakes are made with whole wheat flour and significantly less butter and sugar than most, they make delicious, celebration-worthy late summer treats. Top each cupcake with a dollop of homemade, honey-sweetened whipped cream and enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup raw (turbinado) sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk (make your own by adding 1 tablespoon and two teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Zest of 2 large lemons, or 3 small
- 4 nectarines, thinly sliced, then cut each slice in half
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees with a rack in the top third of the oven. Line your muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and lemon zest.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture and stir just until it’s mostly combined.
- Stir in your sliced nectarines, saving about 18 slices to place on top of the cupcakes before baking.
- Spoon your cupcakes into the prepared muffin tin. Top each one with a slice of nectarine and a light sprinkle of raw sugar.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Yields approximately 18 cupcakes.
Honey whipped cream ingredients:
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
Instructions: Place a mixing bowl in the freezer for about ten minutes. Once it is chilled, pour in the milk and honey. Using an electric mixer, eggbeater or a whisk, whisk the milk until it has doubled in volume and holds its peaks.