These refreshing, fruity margaritas have been my drink of choice lately. I highly recommend them. A word of warning, though—do not overfill your blender with melon. I learned that the hard way today. Honeydew melon went everywhere!
Honeydew on the window. Honeydew on the rug. Honeydew on my camera. Honeydew on the walls. Honeydew on the dog. Honeydew in my hair.
Does anyone know how to clean honeydew juice off velvet curtains? Serious question. I think I’ll ponder the matter over a honeydew margarita.
Fresh Honeydew Margarita
- Author: Cookie and Kate
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Cocktail
Cold, refreshing, fruit-sweetened margaritas. These summer cocktails are really easy to make with fresh honeydew melon, lime juice and tequila!
- 1 honeydew melon
- 3 parts kosher salt
- 1 part ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- Lime wedges
Ingredients per margarita
- 2 ounces fresh honeydew juice
- 1 ½ ounces tequila, preferably 100% agave silver or blanco tequila
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- Entirely optional: ½ teaspoon agave nectar or simple syrup, more to taste
- To make the honeydew juice: Use a chef’s knife to slice the melon in half. Use a big spoon to scoop out the seeds, then discard them. Use the spoon to scoop pieces of melon into the blender. Put on the lid of your blender and blend until there are no remaining bits of melon. Do not overfill your blender! Work in batches if necessary.
- Prepare your margarita glasses: On a small, rimmed plate, mix together the salt and chili powder. Run a wedge of lime around the top of each glass. Dip the top of the glass into the salt blend at a 45-degree angle and roll it from side to side to catch the salt. Add ice cubes to your glass and set it aside.
- To make margaritas (feel free to make multiple margaritas at once): Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Pour in the honeydew juice, tequila and lime juice.
- Put on the lid and shake for 30 seconds. Taste and add sweetener if desired (mine didn’t need any). Strain the liquid into your prepared glass(es). Cheers!
Change it up: Not feeling tequila? This drink is also fantastic with white rum.
Recommended tequila brands: Espolón or Milagro.
Recommended equipment: Love my Blendtec blender, which I received from the company a few years ago.
If you love this recipe: You’ll also love my classic agave-sweetened lime margaritas, pear nectar with reposado tequila, cantaloupe fiesta cocktails and serrano-spiced paloma cocktails.