Did you see this one coming? This recipe is a combination of my recipes for pico de gallo, refried beans and fried eggs (or scrambled, you choose) on top of a crispy baked corn tortilla. Need I say more?
Ok, I’ll go on. I love Mexican cuisine and its endless variations on basic components. These vegetarian breakfast tostadas are such a fun breakfast option for weekends! They look impressive but each component is quite simple to make.
In fact, if you have leftover pico de gallo and refried beans, these are easy to pull off on a regular weekday. Pile them together and breakfast is served (or dinner!).
The idea for this recipe came from a local restaurant called Tavern. It’s right next door to a bicycle shop where I had been looking for a new bike. At that point I had looked at every bike on the internet and available locally, and my patient boyfriend and I got hungry.
We went next door to Tavern and ordered their “breakfast nachos,” which didn’t look like I thought they would. They were made with crisp, flat, mini corn tortillas piled up like you see here—like mini tostadas! They hit the spot and I knew I had to recreate them.
After that, I finally made a decision on the bike and bought it. Thank you, breakfast tostadas. I hope these hearty egg tostadas fill you up and fuel you up for a successful day.
Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you in the comments! I love hearing from you.
Simple Breakfast Tostadas
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 tostadas
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
These breakfast tostadas are perfect for weekend brunch or weekday dinners! They’re fresh and filling, but won’t weigh you down. Vegetarian and gluten free. Recipe yields 8 breakfast tostadas, enough for 4 hearty servings.
- 8 corn tortillas (make sure they’re 100% corn or they won’t get crispy)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups refried beans, warmed
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs, fried or scrambled (your preference)
- 2 cups pico de gallo
- Optional garnishes, for serving: your favorite hot sauce or salsa, avocado, and/or crumbled Cotijah or feta cheese
- To prepare the crispy tortillas: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit with two racks placed near the middle of the oven. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper for easy cleanup, if you’d like.
- On the baking sheets, brush both sides of each tortilla lightly with oil. Arrange 4 tortillas in a single layer across each pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, turning halfway, until each tortilla is golden and lightly crisp. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the remaining components (refried beans, pico de gallo, and eggs, cooked to your liking).
- To assemble, spread warm refried beans over each tostada. Top with a sprinkle of cheese, cooked egg(s) and use a slotted spoon or serving fork to top the eggs with pico de gallo. Top with any optional garnishes you’d like, and serve promptly.
- Tostadas are best enjoyed fresh, since the tortillas will lose their crispness with time. However, the leftovers are still good to me! They’ll keep for about 3 days in the refrigerator. If you have leftover refried beans and/or pico de gallo, they both make a great dip for tortilla chips or filling for quesadillas or burritos.