Considering that today is officially the first day of summer (though we’ve been suffering through 100 degree summer temps for weeks), it seems fitting to share my new favorite frozen drink recipe. I tried this banana almond smoothie recipe for the first time yesterday and awoke this morning with a vicious craving for another.
Packed with vitamins, minerals and omega-3’s, this is a breakfast smoothie that sticks with you until lunch. It’s made with frozen banana, almond butter and milk, and made all the more substantial with the addition of flax seeds. The almond extract lightens up the flavor and makes it taste like a treat. Try it!
- 1 medium to large frozen banana (break your bananas into one-inch chunks before freezing)
- 1 heaping spoonful of almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 2 spoonfuls flax seed
- ½ cup almond milk, yogurt or regular milk
- drizzle of honey, agave nectar or maple syrup
- tiny drop of almond extract (or vanilla extract, but the almond extract makes the smoothie taste almost like candy!)
- Toss all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.