My oh my, what a week! I don’t know where to begin, so let’s get right to the recipe. Pretty, isn’t it? This dish was inspired by Stonesoup’s lentils with zucchini noodles recipe. I loved the zucchini “noodles”, but felt the lentils with tomato paste were too heavy for a light, vegan summer dish. Then came the idea to try making my own arrabiata sauce, which has been on my to-cook list for a long time. I threw in some chickpeas for protein.
Voila! An amazing meal was born.
Zucchini Noodles with Arrabiata Chickpea Sauce
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
A light but filling vegan meal with zucchini “noodles,” spicy homemade arrabiata sauce and chickpeas. Recipe yields 2 to 3 servings.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 or 4 diced tomatoes, seeded, with juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 zucchinis
- olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onion starts to caramelize, which will take about 10 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and red pepper and cook until the pepper softens, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and heat until the sauce begins to simmer. Lower heat and cook (uncovered) until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Slice the ends off two to three zucchinis. Use a vegetable peeler to shave off strips of zucchini. It’s easier than you think it’ll be.
- On a baking sheet, layer the zucchini a few layers deep, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle some freshly ground black pepper on top.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until the zucchini has lost its crunch.
- Back to the sauce: stir in the basil and chickpeas. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 5 more minutes, until everything is heated through. Serve generous portions of zucchini pasta topped with arrabiata sauce!