This week has been a doozy. I’ve been running around like a chicken with its head cut off, scrambling to get caught up with work before I jet off to New York City (New York City?!) for the next few days. By the time this post goes live tomorrow morning, I should be well on my way! Footloose and fancy-free we’ll be tonight once we find authentic New York pizza and a bar with many taps. That’s all we have on the itinerary so far—I haven’t had time to research where to go, what to do and perhaps most importantly, where to eat in NYC! Please, tell me what I can’t miss. I know you all will know just what I should do!
If one of my raw kale salads got with my black bean tostadas, we’d get these baby burritos. Stuffed full of beans ‘n greens and brightened with lime and feta cheese, they’re a little spicy and entirely delicious. By my fourth burrito, I had my method down to a science; I can roll up one of these babies in less than 10 minutes flat. They’re just the right size for me, but if you’re feeding a hungry boy, you might want to buy bigger tortillas and double the amounts listed below. Enjoy!
Kale and Black Bean Burritos
- Author: Cookie and Kate
- Prep Time: 7 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- 2 medium leaves of kale, washed and dried, stems removed and roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon seeded and finely chopped fresh jalapeño
- big squeeze fresh lime juice
- splash of olive oil
- pinch of cumin powder
- dash chili powder
- dash of sea salt
- 1/2 cup cooked or canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 1 small (8 inch) whole wheat tortilla
- 1/2 small avocado, pitted and sliced into strips lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt to serve on the side (optional, not shown)
- In a bowl, combine the kale, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, chili powder and sea salt. Mix well and set the bowl aside to marinate.
- Warm the beans and minced garlic with a couple of tablespoons of water. You can do this in your smallest sauce pan on the stove over medium-low heat (sauté the garlic in a drizzle of olive oil before adding the beans) or in a bowl in the microwave. Add little splashes of water as necessary. Use a fork to mash up the beans a little and add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Warm the tortilla in a skillet or in the microwave for a few seconds. Top the tortilla with the black bean mixture, sliced avocado and marinated kale (you may end up with more kale than will fit in your burrito, which you can serve on the side as a salad). Top with red onion and feta.
- Roll up the burrito by first folding the tortilla over from the bottom to partially cover the beans and greens, then fold in the 2 sides; finish rolling and put the burrito seam side down on a plate. Slice in half, if desired, and serve with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt on the side if you’d like.