This getting older business is rough, isn’t it? I’m only beginning to notice the effects. My smile lines seem just a little deeper. Silver strands are infiltrating my dark hair. Hangovers hurt more than they used to. I’m even shopping for comfortable shoes (who am I?!).
On the upside, I’m getting wiser, too. I’m not taking failed relationships quite so personally, because most aren’t meant to be. If a job doesn’t suit me, I’ll find a better one. If a “friend” makes me feel small, out she goes! It’s never easy, but every time I take a leap toward the brighter side, I’m better for it.
Take this smoothie. I used to sip on a similar smoothie at a raw, vegan restaurant where I worked for a brief time. I waited tables on the weekends just to learn from the chefs, and I learned a lot about food presentation and vegetable preparation. It wasn’t a happy place, though, so I was glad to leave once I had learned enough.
I got this smoothie out of the deal, too. It’s rich and creamy, gently spiced with cinnamon and cayenne pepper (hence the Oaxaca, Mexico reference), and naturally sweetened with ripe bananas. It’s a nutritionally redeeming, grown-up chocolate frosty—my favorite frozen summer treat.
- ¾ cup cashew milk or milk of choice
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper (omit if sensitive to spice)
- Optional sweetener: ½ teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- In a blender, combine the milk, banana, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, cinnamon and cayenne and blend. Don't worry if the chocolate chips are still a little chunky. Taste, and add sweetener if necessary (I used overripe bananas and didn't need any additional sweetener).
Make it dairy free/vegan: Use your favorite non-dairy milk and non-dairy chocolate chips. Vegans, if you add sweetener, make it maple syrup.