It’s that time of year, when little bunnies and the occasional chipmunk start scampering through my back yard. The grass is green again (when did that happen?) and trees are sprouting fresh green leaves. The light always changes on me around now, so please pardon the harsh shadows and highlights for a while. They make the photography process more challenging, in a way that’s both fun and trying.
Yesterday afternoon, after stressing over the cookbook all morning, I stepped outside and realized I was missing the most glorious seventy-two degree afternoon. I still had tons of work to do, though, like this blog post.
My fridge was (is) ironically empty, but my freezer is well-stocked with delicious frozen berries sent from Cascadian Farm for an upcoming project. And I have tequila, always. I decided to slow down and make some frozen strawberry margaritas to commemorate spring. They were just delightful: refreshing, not too sweet, boozy but full of ripe strawberry and fresh citrus flavor. Hope you’ll slow down and sip one soon! If you’re not feeling strawberry, check out my other margaritas here.
- 2 ounces silver/blanco tequila*
- 1½ ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or simple syrup, more to taste
- Heaping ½ cup frozen strawberries, preferably organic
- Scant ½ cup ice cubes
- About 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Small lime wedge
- First, prepare your glass(es): Pour the salt onto a very small plate. Run a small wedge of lime around the upper outer rim of your glasses (I usually only salt half of the rim, so I can control how much salt I get in each sip). Roll the dampened rim into the salt mixture. Set the glass aside and repeat as necessary.
- In a blender, combine the tequila, lime juice, orange juice, agave nectar or simple syrup, strawberries and ice cubes. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more a bit more agave nectar if the mixture tastes harsh or just doesn't quite sing, then blend again. Pour the mixture into your prepared glasses. Feel free to add a few ice cubes to your glasses to keep your drink cold. Serve immediately!
Crate and Barrel Josie Glassware
Vitamix Professional Series 750 Blender (c/o)
OXO Steel Angled Measuring Jigger
Chef’n FreshForce Citrus Juicer, Lemon
▸ For more of my favorite cooking tools, shop my healthy kitchen!