I am so excited about the change in seasons. It’s warm outside! Daylight savings is back! Light is streaming through my windows and I’m having so much fun capturing the rays and shadows in photos. I thought we could celebrate with some sweet and spicy margaritas. I know, I know, I was just going on about detoxing, but grapefruit is in season and it’s bursting with vitamin C, so that counts for something, right? Right.
When we were in Austin, I found grapefruits on special at HEB (six for a dollar!), which kick-started my grapefruit cocktail streak. Grapefruit, while not my favorite of the citrus family, is fantastic in cocktails. It really cuts the taste of alcohol and plays nicely with tequila, gin, vodka and whiskey.
I’m evidently on a mission to post every fruity margarita possible, so here we are with spicy grapefruit margaritas. They aren’t too far off from my fizzy serrano-spiced palomas, but they’re delicious in their own right. I muddled a tiny slice of jalapeño in my margaritas for some kick and mixed some chili powder into the salt mixture that goes around the rim.
You won’t find any orange liqueur in here because… I don’t like it. It’s expensive, syrupy sweet and I find that margaritas taste more clean and refreshing without it. Feel free to add a squeeze of orange if you want this margarita to taste just a bit more traditional, but I don’t think it’s necessary. ¡Salud!
Spicy Grapefruit Margaritas
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1 margarita 1x
- Category: Cocktail
- Cuisine: Mexican
These sweet and spicy grapefruit margaritas are so refreshing! You can leave out the jalapeño if you want a basic, fresh grapefruit margarita, but I love the kick that the pepper provides. Recipe below yields one drink, so multiply as necessary.
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime, juiced)
- 1 teaspoon light agave nectar or 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 1 thinly sliced jalapeño round (⅛th to ¼th inch wide, a little goes a long way!)
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice (about ½ large grapefruit, juiced)
- 1 ½ ounces 100% agave blanco/silver or reposado tequila
Chili-salt rims and garnish
- 3 parts kosher salt
- 1 part ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- Lime wedges
- Small grapefruit wedges for garnish, optional
- First, prepare your glasses. Mix together the salt and chili on a small, rimmed plate. Run a lime wedge around the outer top edge of your glasses, then roll the edges in the chili-salt so it sticks. Place one big ice cube or a few smaller ice cubes in each glass.
- In a cocktail shaker or mason jar, add the lime juice, agave nectar and jalapeño slice. Use a muddler to crush the jalapeño. Pour in the grapefruit juice and tequila, then top off the shaker with ice. Fasten the lid on securely and shake well.
- Strain the mixture into your prepared glasses. If you want to be cute about it, garnish the drinks with a small wedge of grapefruit, sliced halfway through the middle so it rests on your glass. Cheers!
▸ Nutrition Information