Last week, I was so busy posting peach recipes that I failed to mention the massive bag of cherries I was snacking on in real life. I don’t think we’ll have a full-blown cherry week, but I do have several cherry recipes up my sleeve.
Today, I thought I’d share my new favorite summer salad. Seriously packed with flavor, it’s composed of peppery arugula, warm black quinoa, goat cheese, and gorgeous dark red cherries, tossed with an easy balsamic vinaigrette. If you can hunt down cherries before the end of summer, make this salad—you don’t want to wait another year for it!
Cherry, Arugula and Quinoa Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Salad
This salad features peppery arugula, warm black quinoa, goat cheese, and gorgeous dark red cherries, tossed with an easy balsamic vinaigrette. It’s a flavorful, healthy summer salad!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- One handful of dark cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- Goat cheese crumbles
- Cooked quinoa (red or black is preferable to white quinoa)
- Cook the quinoa: measure out one cup of quinoa, pour into a colander, and rinse the quinoa under water for a minute. Pour the rinsed quinoa into a pot and add two cups water (you’re going for a 1:2 ratio of quinoa and water). Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from heat, let sit for a few minutes, and fluff with a fork.
- Assemble your salad: whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss with several handfuls of arugula. Add slightly warm quinoa, a good sprinkle of goat cheese, and cherries.
Inspired by Kiss My Spatula’s Wild Arugula-Quinoa Salad with Cherries.
Make just one serving: One cup of uncooked quinoa will yield enough cooked quinoa for about 3 or 4 salads. I like to have leftovers around for breakfast, but feel free to use ½ cup quinoa and one cup water if you don’t want much extra.
Make it dairy free: Just omit the cheese!