Meet my new favorite tacos! These meatless tacos will please even the most adamant carnivores in your life.
If you ask me, every great taco possesses the following qualities: something hearty (beans), something creamy (avocado), something crisp (shredded cabbage), something tangy (pickled onions and feta), and lots of fresh flavors. These tacos have those qualities in spades.
These vegetarian tacos were inspired by an authentic Mexican taqueria in town, Bonito Michoacan. They offer one-dollar tacos on Fridays. I order beans and cheese on mine, then I load them up with my favorite condiments from their epic salsa and pickle bar. You can’t miss me—look for the girl with big hair and drippy-saucy tacos, dancing in her seat.
Taco Tips & Notes
These tacos are fun to make when you have good company in the kitchen. Just assign the individual components (they’re all so simple) and you’ll have dinner ready in no time. I also offered some shortcuts in the recipe notes, if you’re in a hurry.
More Taco Recipes to Enjoy
Don’t miss the “Taco Party” menu in my cookbook (page 189). Those tacos are made with refried black beans, roasted mushrooms and poblano peppers, guacamole, and crisp kale slaw. Aren’t tacos the best?
Here are more taco recipes on the blog, too. Please let me know how you like these tacos in the comments! Your comments keep me inspired.
Watch How to Make Vegetarian Tacos
Epic Vegetarian Tacos
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 tacos 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Truly amazing vegetarian tacos featuring easy-to-make refried beans, quick-pickled onions, and creamy avocado sauce! Your whole family will love these meatless tacos. Recipe yields 8 hearty tacos (about 4 servings).
- Salsa verde
- Shredded green cabbage (for extra crunch)
- Crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Prepare the onions, avocado dip, and beans as directed, in that order.
- Once they’re ready, warm the tortillas in a large skillet over medium heat in batches, flipping to warm each side. Alternatively, you can warm them directly over a low flame on a gas range. Stack the warmed tortillas on a plate and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.
- To assemble the tacos, spread refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Top with avocado dip and onions (for reference, I used all of the beans and about half of the avocado dip and onions). Finish the tacos with garnishes of your choice, and serve immediately.
- Leftover components are best served separately; reheat the tortillas and beans before serving. Leftover pickled onions and avocado dip are great on quesadillas, nachos or tortilla chips, sandwiches, etc.
Make it gluten free: Be sure to buy 100% corn/certified gluten-free tortillas.
Make it vegan: Skip the cheese.
Make it quick: You could, theoretically, substitute store-bought refried beans and guacamole for the avocado sauce. Or make the pickled onions and avocado dip in advance, so the tacos come together more quickly.