Today’s drinks are for my friend Jes, who has a surplus of cucumbers. She’ll need one (or both) of these after a long day of teaching kids at her new job.
Adapted from Market-Fresh Mixology: Cocktails for Every Season
- 3 slices cucumber, each 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 of a lime, cut into two wedges
- 1 teaspoon raw (turbinado) sugar
- 1.5 ounces white rum
- club soda
- cucumber slices and lime rounds, for garnish
- In a short glass, thoroughly muddle lime wedges, cucumber slices and sugar.
- Fill glass with ice and pour in rum. Top with club soda.
- Mix by pouring into another glass and then back into your drinking glass.
Makes one drink.
Note for Jes, who loves mojitos: You could totally muddle mint with the cucumber and lime to make this a cucumber mojito.
Watermelon Cucumber Cooler
Adapted from Martha
- 2.5 cups watermelon, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- 1/2 large English cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 ounces vodka
- cucumber, lime and/or sliced watermelon, for garnish
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl or pitcher.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon and cucumber chunks.
- Pour mixture through the sieve into the bowl. Use the back of a big spoon or rubber spatula to squeeze all the juice into the bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together lime juice and honey.
- Pour the lime juice and honey mixture into the watermelon and cucumber juice, along with vodka. Adjust sweetness with more honey if desired.
- To serve, fill two glasses with ice and top each with cocktail. Garnish with cucumber and lime slices.