Welcome to the redesigned cookieandkate.com! I’m not quite finished working on it, but I couldn’t stand to keep it in hiding for any longer. The website is finally optimized for viewing on your phone, your iPad, etc. No more pinching and zooming so you can read the recipe! Try it!
Another noteworthy feature is the menu I added underneath the header. It’s designed to help you find the kinds of recipes you’re looking for. Click on ALL RECIPES to see little pictures of every recipe on the site as usual, or narrow your selection by clicking on SALAD, DESSERT, etc. FAVORITES is a list of readers’ favorite recipes, curated by yours truly.
Over in the sidebar, you’ll find lists of special diets and ingredients. I added a gluten free and vegan option for those of you who are trying to avoid gluten and animal products. Please let me know if you’d like to see any other diet combinations and I’ll try to make it happen!
This redesign has been a long time coming. I did it all myself because I’m very particular (read: control freak). Lots of late nights, Breaking Bad and dark chocolate peanut butter cups were involved. I’m still working on the recipe index pages and the search functionality. If you have any suggestions or feature requests, please let me know! I’m all ears.
Now then, this salad. I’m pretty obsessed with it. Tangy goat cheese and lemon dressing tossed creamy avocado, sweet blood oranges, sliced almonds and greens is a winning combination indeed. I usually want fennel to speak up more (be bold, fennel!), but its faint licorice flavor and crisp texture is the perfect complement here. Enjoy!
- 4 large handfuls of spring greens
- 2 blood oranges, sliced into segments
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and sliced into super thin strips (reserve fennel fronds)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 ounces (about ⅓ cup) goat cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- ¼ cup olive oil, more to taste
- 1 lemon, preferably organic, zested and juiced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey
- Sea salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lightly toast the almonds: In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds for a few minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn. Once the almonds are fragrant and starting to turn golden, remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the greens, segmented blood oranges, sliced fennel, diced avocado, goat cheese and warm almonds. If the fennel's feathery fronds (say that five times fast) are in good shape, chop up a handful's worth and toss them into the salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the salad ingredients until emulsified. Whisk in more olive oil if the dressing tastes too tart. The final result should be pleasantly tangy.
- Once you're ready to serve, drizzle citronette over the salad (you might not need all of it) and toss. Serve immediately.