I fear I’ll run out of summer Fridays before I run out of refreshing summer cocktail ideas, so I’m posting two today. So many cocktails to try, so little down time. Hiccup.
Today’s drinks are for my friend Jes, who has a surplus of cucumbers. She’ll need one (or both) of these after a long day of teaching kids at her new job.
Serves: 1 cocktail
Classic caipirinhas are made with rum, lime and sugar. This one has a couple of twists: muddled cucumber and some club soda for bubbles!
3 slices cucumber, each ½ inch thick
½ lime, cut into two wedges
1 teaspoon raw (turbinado) sugar
1½ ounces white rum or cachaca
Additional cucumber slices and lime rounds, for garnish
In a short glass, thoroughly muddle lime wedges, cucumber slices and sugar.
Fill glass with ice and pour in rum. Top with club soda.
Mix by pouring into another glass and then back into your drinking glass.
Recipe adapted from Market-Fresh Mixology: Cocktails for Every Season.
Note for Jes, who loves mojitos: You could totally muddle mint with the cucumber and lime to make this a cucumber mojito.
Watermelon Cucumber Cooler
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 cocktails
- Category: Cocktail
Refreshing, lightly sweetened and spiked watermelon and cucumber juice!
Yields 2 cocktails
- 2 ½ cups watermelon, seeds removed, cut into chunks
- ½ large English cucumber, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
- 3 ounces vodka
- Optional garnishes: cucumber slice, lime slice and/or small watermelon wedge
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl or pitcher.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon and cucumber chunks.
- Pour mixture through the sieve into the bowl. Use the back of a big spoon or rubber spatula to squeeze all the juice into the bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together lime juice and honey.
- Pour the lime juice and honey mixture into the watermelon and cucumber juice, along with vodka. Adjust sweetness with more honey if desired.
- To serve, fill two glasses with ice and top each with cocktail. Garnish with cucumber and lime slices.
Recipe adapted from Martha.
▸ Nutrition Information