I have a couple of friends who don’t love brunch. Blasphemy, right? I love a late, long, lazy brunch, when time allows. Ninety-nine percent of the time, I’ll opt for a savory option.
There’s so much room for creativity when it comes to standard vegetarian breakfast/brunch ingredients: eggs, toast, veggies, tortillas, beans, etc. The possibilities are endless, and I have a few favorite local restaurants that offer creative veggie options.
I’ve been thinking about the standard egg and toast brunch option, and came up with my own version that is neither bland nor boring. I whipped up an avocado-based pesto spread in my food processor. It’s infinitely more exciting than a pat of butter (sorry, butter!).
Toast can only be as awesome as the bread used to make it, so I opted for my favorite store-bought organic whole grain sandwich bread, which is made by eureka! Organic Bread. I found it at the nearest grocery store to me. This simple avocado toast is delicious as-is, or you can top it with eggs and a handful of sliced cherry tomatoes. Either way, it’s a great snack, breakfast/brunch, lunch or dinner.
Avocado Pesto Toast
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 toasts 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
This avocado pesto toast recipe is fantastic for breakfast, brunch or any time of day, really! Serve it as-is or add eggs and tomatoes for a complete meal. Recipe yields enough for 4 toasts, or 2 to 4 servings.
- ¼ cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ⅔ cup (1 ounces) packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices of eureka! Top Seed® Organic Bread
- Cooked eggs (fried, poached or scrambled, your preference)
- Halved cherry tomatoes (1 small handful per serving)
- Freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes and/or flaky sea salt
- To toast the pepitas, pour them into a small skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they are making little popping noises and starting to make little popping noises. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- To make the pesto, pit and halve the avocados and scoop the insides into the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Blend until smooth, pausing to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Add the toasted pepitas and basil leaves and pulse until the pepitas and basil are broken down into very small pieces and the mixture is well-blended. Taste, mix in more salt if the mixture doesn’t taste totally awesome yet.
- Toast the bread, then spread a generous amount of avocado pesto over each slice. Serve as is, or with eggs and/or tomatoes. Sprinkle lightly with freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes (for heat) and/or flaky sea salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
Make it vegan: Skip the eggs!
Storage suggestions: The spread yields about 1 ½ cups, so you might have some extra. Leftover spread will keep in a small bowl with plastic wrap pressed against the top in the refrigerator for two to three days; scoop off the top layer before serving if turns brown.
▸ Nutrition Information
This blog is sponsored by eureka! Organic Bread. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support C+K!