I propose a picnic this weekend! Weather permitting, we’ll enjoy some time at the park this weekend. There’s really nothing better than a spring picnic in good company, is there?
I like to keep picnics simple, perhaps with a couple types of cheese, crackers, and a deliciously hearty salad. You’ll find picnic-perfect appetizers, sandwiches, and many salad options below.
To finish the meal with a sweet treat, try these Peanut Butter Oat Cookies. Have a great weekend!
Picnic Appetizers & Dips
These portable appetizers are sure to delight. If preparing a cheese board, plan to assemble upon arrival.
You really can’t beat these vegetarian sandwiches. The hummus sandwich is vegan, too!
Whole Grain Salads
These wholesome salads feature wild rice, quinoa and farro.
- Arugula and Wild Rice Salad with Zippy Lemon Dressing
- Crunchy Thai Peanut & Quinoa Salad
- Farro and Kale Salad with Goat Cheese
- Favorite Quinoa Salad
- Herbed Quinoa & Chickpea Salad with Lemon-Tahini Dressing
- Mason Jar Chickpea, Farro and Greens Salad
- Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach and Quinoa Salad
These bright and bold pasta salads are all mayo-free! Pick your favorite:
- Colorful Veggie Sesame Noodles
- Orange Orzo Salad with Almonds, Feta and Olives
- Pesto Pasta Salad
- Summertime Pasta Salad with Tomatoes, Corn and Jalapeño Pesto
These salads are fresh and filling, thanks to the beans. They develop more flavor if you let them rest in the fridge for a few hours before packing up.
- Chickpea Salad with Carrots and Dill
- Fresh Black Bean Salad
- Greek Lentil Salad
- Jessica’s Marinated Chickpeas
- Lebanese Lemon-Parsley Bean Salad
A Few More Salads
Because why not? These are perhaps the most expected salads to find at picnics and some of my favorites. Serve these with a heartier options, like a sandwich, another salad or a generous appetizer.
More resources you might appreciate: 23 healthy make-ahead breakfast recipes, 45 recipes that pack well for lunch and 20 simple weeknight dinners. You might also like my monthly seasonal produce guides and healthy kitchen essentials. View all roundups and resource posts here.