Summer came on with a bang. Our weather went from pleasantly warm to blazingly hot. Every year, I relearn what 100 degree weather feels like. It’s shocking, isn’t it? At least in Kansas City, it cools down a bit at night, so Cookie and I can go on our long walks as the sun sets.
Now that summer heat is here, I find myself craving more light, fresh and green meals. Enter this salad with Thai flavors, which satisfies all three at once. I basically took my Thai mango cabbage wraps as inspiration, and reimagined them as a salad.
The salad features butter lettuce (feel free to substitute your favorite green instead), sweet diced mango, red bell pepper, and jalapeño. Then I tossed all of it in an addictive, spicy peanut dressing. This salad would make a great side salad for any of my other Thai recipes, or could pass as a light dinner. For more substance, just add some crispy baked tofu.
Once again, I used Adobe’s new fun (and free!) iPhone app called Spark Post to make the text overlays on my photos. Have you tried it yet? They offer so many templates and design tools that make creating beautiful text overlays on photos a snap. Every time I use it, I find a new built-in feature to appreciate. It’s really handy to be able to make cute graphics right from my phone, and I imagine they would make great party invitations, Facebook profile pictures, and more!
Thai Mango Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 side salads 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Thai
This green salad is bursting with fresh Thai flavors and bright colors. It’s great on its own, or as an accompaniment to Thai main dishes. Recipe yields 2 large salads or 4 side salads.
Thai mango salad
- One head (about 7 ounces) butter leaf lettuce or your greens of choice, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced and then sliced across to make 1″ long pieces
- 3 ripe champagne mangos, diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onion (both green and white parts)
- ⅓ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup lime juice (about 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (if you like spice)
- To assemble the salad, simply combine all of the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a liquid measuring cup or bowl, and whisk until combined.
- When you’re ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
▸ Nutrition Information
This post was created in partnership with Adobe Spark Post and I received compensation for my participation. Opinions are my own, always. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support C+K!