Summer came on with a bang. Our weather went from pleasantly warm to blazingly hot. Every year, I relearn what 100 degree weather feels like. It’s shocking, isn’t it? At least in Kansas City, it cools down a bit at night, so Cookie and I can go on our long walks as the sun sets.
Now that summer heat is here, I find myself craving more light, fresh and green meals. Enter this salad with Thai flavors, which satisfies all three at once. I basically took my Thai mango cabbage wraps as inspiration, and reimagined them as a salad.
The salad features butter lettuce (feel free to substitute your favorite green instead), sweet diced mango, red bell pepper, and jalapeño. Then I tossed all of it in an addictive, spicy peanut dressing. This salad would make a great side salad for any of my other Thai recipes, or could pass as a light dinner. For more substance, just add some crispy baked tofu.
Thai Mango Salad with Peanut Dressing
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 side salads 1x
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Thai
This green salad is bursting with fresh Thai flavors and bright colors. It’s great on its own, or as an accompaniment to Thai main dishes. Recipe yields 2 large salads or 4 side salads.
Thai mango salad
- One head (about 7 ounces) butter leaf lettuce or your greens of choice, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced and then sliced across to make 1″ long pieces
- 3 ripe champagne mangos, diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onion (both green and white parts)
- ⅓ cup chopped roasted peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeds and membranes removed, finely chopped
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup lime juice (about 2 to 3 limes)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (if you like spice)
- To assemble the salad, simply combine all of the salad ingredients in a large serving bowl.
- To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a liquid measuring cup or bowl, and whisk until combined.
- When you’re ready to serve, drizzle the dressing over the salad, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.