I did it. I quit my job!
It’s hard to believe that the little project I named Cookie and Kate three and a half years ago has become a full-time endeavor. When my parents asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I definitely never responded, “Vegetarian food blogger,” but that was back when I subsisted on chicken fingers with ketchup and home computers were clunky novelties. Regardless, I’ve found my calling. For now.
I’m hoping to post recipes more often from here on out. I’m already feeling like a failure since I’ve only managed to post once during my first week as a full timer. I have, however, been attacking my to-do list like it’s a beast that can be conquered. Oh, if only it could.
Before I dive into the blog improvement projects on my agenda, I thought I’d ask you all what you would like to see here first. What kinds of recipes do you prefer? Do you have suggestions for how this website could work better for you? Any features you’d like to see? Let’s hear it!
Stoli asked me to come up with a fall-inspired cocktail and today seemed like the perfect day to share it with you all. It’s Friday, after all! And I quit my job! I’m making less money but I’m doing what I love! Let’s toast to that.
At first, I was pretty set on incorporating pears in the cocktail. I tried infusing, muddling, blending and cooking, but none of those techniques brought the best out of those pears. I probably should have bought pear vodka in the first place. I was stressing about the pear issue when my friends came over for girls night, and those lovely geniuses reminded me of my favorite cocktail from Manifesto called the Beautiful Red Bell. Red bell pepper muddled into a cocktail lends sweet peppery notes and a pretty orangey pink hue. It’s delightful.
This red number is a cross between the beautiful red bell and a savory martini I tasted in Denver last month. That drink, which I sipped under the pink lights at The Thin Man, was made with a crazy-sounding roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomato, jalapeño and garlic infused vodka. I loved it. I love this cocktail, too. I mixed it up in a hurry this morning and got it just right on my third attempt. Of course, the drinks are reserved for tonight since I am a professional.
This cocktail would be the perfect sweet-and-spicy cocktail to serve at girls night or brunch. When you do, invite your friends to join you on RecAPP by Stoli to capture all of your original moments. It’s a free app that lets you create video recaps of events and share them with friends. Cheers!
Red Pepper Martini
- Author: Cookie and Kate
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Cocktail
Sweet and spicy, peppery vodka martinis. Serve as a savory before-dinner cocktail, or as a light alternative to a bloody mary at brunch. Amounts given below yield two cocktails.
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded (use more or less depending on how spicy you want the drink to be)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 garlic clove, peeled
- 3 ounces Stoli vodka
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or simple syrup
- 1 dash hot sauce, preferably Cholula
- freshly ground black pepper
- coarse sea salt
- First, line the rims with black pepper and salt if desired. Sprinkle a small plate with pepper and salt, run a lime wedge around the rims of two martini glasses, and dip the edges in the salt and pepper mixture.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the bell pepper, jalapeno, lime juice and garlic. You’re done when the peppers have no more crunch left in them.
- Add the vodka, agave or simple syrup, hot sauce, a couple twists of freshly ground black pepper and a dash of salt. Fill the shaker with ice, top the shaker with its lid and shake it like crazy. Strain the mixture into the prepared glasses and serve immediately.
- Cocktail inspired by the beautiful red bell cocktail at Manifesto (Kansas City) and the red pepper-infused vodka at The Thin Man (Denver).
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Stoli. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who allow me to serve up more recipes. Opinions are my own, always. Savor Stoli Responsibly. STOLICHNAYA® Premium Vodka. 40% Alc/Vol. Distilled from grain. William Grant & Sons, Inc. New York, NY. © 2013 Spirits International, B.V.